There are many experiences to be had on The Chatham Islands and a lot of history to discover. Even walking around the lush natural landscape and taking in the local wildlife can take up a chunk of your time. The coastal areas are full of birds and there is flora and fauna unique to the Island. There are historical Moriori carvings found nowhere else and there are cottages from the time when New Zealand was first settled over 150 years ago.
- Walking track and farm tour – The Awatotara Bush to Coast Walking Track (3hrs)
Follow your guide on an enchanting tour through endemic bush where you will view a range of rare birds and also some coastal plants. Fascinating and educational! You will also have the opportunity to visit natural restoration areas and more recently developed conservation projects.
- Wild Sheep Hunts – and Cattle too! With an experienced hunting guide, hunt with the best. Your guide has access to over 10,000 acres and can take you to some of the best spots on the island. The trophies are there and waiting.
- Pitt Island day tour – by an experienced guide so you get to cram all the best bits into one day and not miss anything out! You get the opportunity to learn about the history, heritage and nature of the island. The flight is a nippy 25 minutes with very scenic views, and a wholesome island style lunch is included before your return. It is possible to book special interest tours if you have a particular passion or interest, just ask! These include: photography, botany, ornithology and geology.
- Tuku Scenic Farm Tour – Along sheer cliffs and spectacular landscapes, a similar experience to the Bush to Coast Walking Tour.
- The Landing Retreat Hunting and Fishing – tailored hunting and fishing trips, guided sightseeing tours and as always, Chatham’s great hospitality. Your hosts open their home to you as part of this experience allowing you to stay briefly at this humble but beautiful seaside setting at Kaingaroa.
- Pig Hunts and Rock Fishing on Pitt Island – This excursion can be a one day trip of span over several days. They also offer Sheep hunting and brag an extensive range of trophies.
- Chatham Charters – this company offers scuba and spearfishing. Their maximum capacity is 10 passengers and it is recommended to try to book in advance as spaces on these trips get snapped up!
- Fishing Charters & Scenic Tours – experience true marine wilderness with Hapuka, Blue Cos, Crayfish and Paua being just some among Chatham Islands varied marine life. They also offer a range of other adventure such as fishing and diving charters, Shark cage diving and Spear fishing.
If the guided tours aren’t for you then there’s nothing to stop you grabbing your rain jacket (just in case!) and a good sturdy pair of boots and going for a long hike to explore the landscape yourself. There are also a variety of historical monuments worth visiting; your hotel can provide you with directions and further information. Though small, this Island is anything but dull.